What is MS Surface. ?
- A surface computing platform from Microsoft.
- Project began in 2001 Introduced in 2007.
- Combination of software & hardware.
- We can also call it table top.
“Microsoft Surface represents a fundamental change in the way we interact with digital content. With Surface, we can actually grab data with our hands, and move it 360o, information between objects with natural gestures and touch. Surface features a 30-inch tabletop display whose unique abilities allow for several people to work independently or simultaneously. All without using a mouse or a keyboard.”
API of MS Surface:
The Surface Experience:
There are many features of windows surface some of the specials features ,i am showing here-
Direct Interaction-User can “grab” items with their hands and move data to different location on the hard disk or to removable devices. Easy touch navigation-without the use of a mouse and keyboard.
Object Recognition-Users can place physical objects such as drinks, cell phones, cameras, wines, food,laptops,mp3 players on the table to activate digital responses. And to see contents.
Multi-Touch Friendly-Recognizes several points of contact simultaneously as opposed to average single point of contact touch screens. Gives users the ability to be completing unrelated tasks simultaneously.
Multi-USer-Friendly- It’s design multi-touch capabilities make it a great gathering spot to share data, exchange ideas, and inspire group collaboration.
1)Screen: The Surface has an acrylic table top which a diff user makes capable of processing multiple inputs from multiple users. Objects can also be recognized by their shapes or reading.
2) Infrared: Infrared light is projected onto the underside of the diff user. Objects or fingers are visible through the diff user by series of infrared-sensitive cameras which are positioned underneath the surface of the tabletop.
3) CPU: This is similar to a regular desktop. The underlying operating system is a modified version of Microsoft Vista.
4) Projector: The Surface uses the same DLP light engine in many rear-projection tvs.
5) Cameras: 4 infrared cameras place inside the tabletop and that focus on screen and reads user interaction from four side and cover the whole screen.
Software platform: Microsoft Surface 1.0
Display + vision input technology: Rear projection DLP
Weight: 198 lbs (90 kg)
Physical dimensions (L x W x H): 42.5 x 27 x 21 in (108 x 68.6 x 53.3 cm)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz processor
Graphics : – 256 MB
Memory: 2 GB DDR2
Storage (hard drive): 500 GB HDD
Display size: 30 in (76.2 cm) diagonal
Display resolution: 1024 X 768 ` 4:3 aspect ratio
Extensions (ports): video out, audio out, 4 USB ports
Networking: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Ethernet.
Operating system: enhanced windows vista (32-bit)
Price: starting 10,000 us $ (approx 5 lakh in INR)
How Does it works:
Digital Light processing is a technology used in newer Surface devices.
It allows recognition of fingers, hands, and objects that are placed on the screen, enabling vision-based interaction. Sensors in the individual pixels in the display register what is touching the screen.
A step-by-step look at how Pixel Sense works:
* When An object is placed on the display.
* An infrared back light illuminates the object.
* Light reflected back from the object is registered by cameras.
* Values reported from all of the cameras are used to create a picture of what is
on the display.
* The picture is analyzed using image processing techniques creating a
* The corrected sensor image and information about the objects placed on the
display are sent to the PC.
* And then surface system react according to the user requirement.