By Author – Rishabh Sontakke
What is Bluejacking?
Bluejacking is the sending of unsolicited messages over Bluetooth to Bluetooth-enabled devices such as mobile phones, PDAs or laptop computers, etc. Bluetooth has a very limited range; usually around 10 meters on mobile phones, but laptops can reach up to 100 meters with powerful transmitters.
Origin of Bluejacking-
This bluejack phenomenon started after a Malaysian IT consultant named Ajack posted a comment on a mobile phone forum. Ajack told IT Web that he used his Ericsson cellphone in a bank to send a message to someone with a Nokia 7650. Ajack did a Bluetooth discovery to see if there was another Bluetooth device around. Discovering a Nokia 7650 in the vicinity, he created a new contact and filled in the first name with Buy Ericsson! and sent a business card to the Nokia phone.
How to Bluejack:
Assuming that you now have a Bluetooth phone in your hands, the first thing to do is to make sure that Bluetooth is enabled. You will need to read the handbook of the particular phone (or PDA etc) that you have but somewhere in the Menu item, you will find the item that enables and disabled Bluetooth.Your phone or PDA will start to search the airwaves for other devices within range. If you are lucky you will see a list of them appear, or it will say that it cannot find any. If the latter happens then relocate to another crowd or wait a while and try again. If you have a list of found devices then let the fun begin.
The various steps involved –?in mobile –
- First press the 5-way joystick down.
- Then choose options.
- Then choose “New contact”.
- Then in the first line choose your desired message.
- Then press done.
- Then go to the contact.
- Then press options.
- Then scroll down to send.
- Then choose “Via Bluetooth”Then press “Select”.
- Then the phone will be searching for enabled Devices
The various steps involved -?in computer/laptop –
- Go to contacts in your Address Book program (e.g. Outlook).
- Create a new contact.
- Enter the message into one of the name fields.
- Save the new contact.
- Go to the address book.
- Right-click on the message/contact.
- Go to action.
- Go to Send to Bluetooth.
- Click on other.
- Select a device from the list and double-click on it.
- Bluespam: BlueSpam searches for all discoverable Bluetooth devices and sends a file to them (spams them) if they support OBEX.
- Meeting point: Meeting point is the perfect tools to search for Bluetooth devices. Combine it with any bluejacking tools and have lots of fun. This software is compatible with Pocket PC, Windows.
- Freejack: Freejack is compatible with java phone like Nokia N-series.
- Easyjacking (eJack): Allows sending of text Messages to other Bluetooth enables devices.
Usage of Bluejacking:
Bluejacking can be used in many fields and for various purposes like in the busy shopping center, train station, high street,cinema,caf/restaurant/pub, etc. The main use of bluejacking tools or bluejacking is in advertising purpose and location-based purpose. Experimental results show that the system provides a viable solution for realizing permission-based mobile advertising.
Now, remember that Bluetooth works only for short range of distances, so you need to find the crowd. Bluejacking is very new so not everyone will have a Bluetooth phone or PDA(Personal digital assistant) so the bigger crowd the more likely you will find a victim on the train, in the cafe or standing in line are all good places to start
Bluejackers often look for the receiving phone toping or the user to react. In order to carry out bluejacking, the sending and receiving devices must be within10 meters of one another.
Code of Ethics-
- Bluejackers will only send messages/pictures. They will never try to hack a device for the purpose of copying or modifying any files on any device or upload any executable files.
- Any such messages or pictures sent will not be of an insulting, libelous or vulgar in nature and will be copyright free or copyrighted by the sender.
- If no interest is shown by the recipient after 2 messages the bluejacker will desist and move on.
- The bluejacker will restrict their activity to 10 messages maximum unless in exceptional circumstances
- If the Bluejacker senses that he/she is causing distress rather than mirth to the recipient they will immediately decrease all activity towards them.
- If a bluejacker is caught in the act he/she will be as co-operative as possible and not hide any details of their activity.
- BlueSnarfing: Bluesnarfing is the term associated with downloading any and all information from a hacked device. Bluesnarfing is the theft of information from a wireless device through a Bluetooth connection, often between phones, desktops, laptops, and PDAs. This allows access to a calendar, contact list, emails and text messages. Bluesnarfing is much more serious in relation to Bluejacking.
- Bluebugging: Bluebugging is a form of Bluetooth attack. In the progression of discovery date, Bluetooth attack started with bluejacking, then bluesnarfing, and then bluebugging. Bluebug program allows the user to take control of a victims phone to call the users phone. This means that the Bluebug user can simply listen to any conversation his victim is having in real life.
How to Prevent Being Bluejacked-
To prevent being Bluejacked, disable Bluetooth on the mobile device when not in use. The device will not show up on a Bluejackers phone when he/she attempts to send a message and they do not queue up.
Good Practices for Bluetooth enabled devices Whether someone is unwilling to partake in Bluejacking or just does not want to be bothered with these messages, the following are some good practices to consider:
- Do not reveal an identity when either sending or receiving Bluejacked messages.
- Never threaten anyone.
- Never send messages that can be considered abusive.
- Never reveal personal information in response to a Bluejacked message.
- Disable Blue Tooth option if not in use in order to prevent Bluejacked messages.
- If a Bluejacking message is received, delete the message voice accepting it or it will be added to the devices address book.
Never try to hack a device for the purpose of copying or modifying any files on any device or upload any executable files. By hacking a device you are committing an offense under the computer misuse act 1990, which states it is an offense to obtain unauthorized access to any computer.
Bluejacking is a technique by which we can interact with new people and has the ability to revolutionerisemarket by sending advertisement about the product, enterprise etc. on the Bluetooth configured the mobile phone so that the people get aware about them by seeing them on the phone.