Cyber BullyingBy Jain Software In Official Blog, Tech-BLOG, Tech-Forum, Technical
What is Cyber Bullying?
When the internet, cell phones or other digital devices are used to send or post text or images intended to hurt or embarrass another person.Examples of cyber bullying include mean text messages or emails, rumours sent by email or posted on social networking sites, and embarrassing pictures, videos, websites, or fake profiles.
There are two kinds of Cyber Bullying:
- Direct Attacks- messages sent directly to the victim.
- Cyber Bullying by Proxy– Using someone else to cyber bully a victim, this proxy may know they are cyber bullying and they may not.
1. Direct Attacks:
- Instant Messaging
- Text Messaging
- Emailing Pictures
- Stealing Passwords
- Internet Polling- Hot or Not!
- Hacking or sending spyware
2. By Proxy:
- Someone else does the dirty work for the main cyber bully.
- Bullies may hack into the victim’s account or steal their password. They may set up a new account pretending to be the victim.
- Friends get angry with the victim.
- This form of cyber bullying is very dangerous because many people are involved, not just the bully and the victim.
Bullying V/S Cyber Bullying
- Physical: Hitting, Punching & Shoving.
- Verbal: Teasing, Name calling & Gossip.
- Non-verbal: Use of gestures & Exclusion.
2. Cyber Bullying:
- Harassing text messages or emails.
- Spreading rumours on social networks.
- Emotional reactions cannot be determined.
Why do children Cyber Bullying?
- To get Laughs or Reactions
- Power Hungry
- Because all motives for bullying are different so are the solutions and responses.
Who does this effect?
- As hinted at previously, Cyber Bullying only impacts children.
- Children of all ages can be victims of cyber bullying, Young children, Preteens and Teenagers.
- Once adults get involved with Cyber Bullying it becomes Cyber Stalking or Cyber Harassment.
Consequences of Cyber Bullying:
- Stress Related Disorders
- Withdrawal from Friends and Activities
- Changes in mood, behaviour and appetite
- Emotional Distress during and after using technology