Li-Fi (Light Fidelity) is a bidirectional, high speed and fully networked wireless communication technology similar to Wi-Fi. The term was coined by Harald Haas and is a form of visible light communication and a subset of optical wireless communications (OWC).
What is LiFi:
LI-FI is transmission of data through illumination ,sending data through a LED light bulb that varies in intensity faster than human eye can follow-
The technology truly began during the 1990’s in countries like Germany, Korea, and Japan where they discovered LED’s could be retrofitted to send information. Harald Haas continues to wow the world with the potential to use light for communication.
- Radio Spectrum is congested but the demand for wireless data double each year .Every thing, it seems want to use wireless data but the capacity is drying up.
- So what can carry this excess demand in the future
WHO CAN REPLACE RADIO WAVES FOR WIRELESS COMMUNICATION ?
How Li-Fi Works:
operational procedure is very simple, if the led is on, you transmit a digital 1, if its off you transmit a 0. The LEDs can be switched on and off very quickly, which gives nice opportunities for transmitting data. Hence all that us required is some LEDS and a controller that code data into those LEDs.
Why Only VLC:
- Gama rays cant be used as they could be dangerous.
- X-rays have similar health issues.
- Ultraviolet light is good for place without people, but otherwise dangerous for the human body.
- Infrared, due to eye safety regulation,can only bse used with low power.
LUXIM is a privately owned clean tech company based in Sunnyvale, California which was founded in 2000.
- Luxim offers three unique products for use in technical lighting.
- LIFI4KP is intended for visible light applications including general microscopy, machine vision, and inspection.
- LIFI4KT is a broadband source that includes both UVA and visible region of the spectrum.
- LIFI4KU is a mercury source with strong spectral emission lines down to 320 nm for UV curing, fluorescence imaging, and UV printing.
Potential Application of Li-Fi:
Li Fi technology is still in its infancy .However some areas where it seems perfectly applicable are:-
- Traffic lights can communicate to the car and with each other.
- Cars have LED-based headlights, LED-based cack lights, and cars can communicate with each other and prevent accidents in by exchanging information.
INTRINSICALLY SAFE ENVIRONMENT
- Visible Light is more safe than RF, hence it can be used in places where RF can’t be used such as petrochemical plants , airplanes etc.
PUBLIC INTERNET HOTSPOTS:
- There are millions of street lamps deployed around the world.
- Each of these street lamps could be a free access point.