Every day of your computing life, you reach out for the mouse whenever you want to move the cursor or activate something. The mouse senses your motion and your clicks and sends them to the computer so it can respond appropriately. An ordinary mouse detects motion in the X and Y plane and acts as a two dimensional controller. Space Mouse is a professional 3D controller specifically designed for manipulating objects in a 3D environment.
What is Space Mouse?
Space Mouse is a professional 3D controller specifically designed for manipulating objects in a 3D environment. It permits the simultaneous control of all six degrees of freedom – translation rotation or a combination. The device serves as an intuitive man-machine interface.
An ordinary mouse detects motion in the X and Y plane and acts as a two dimensional controller but space mouse detect the X,Y and Z axis.
The space mouse has different modes of operation in which it can also be used as a two-dimensional mouse.
Space mouse is developed by the DLR institute of robotics and mechanics in 1990.
DLR:- Deutsches Zenturum far Luft-und Raumfahrt.
The basic principle behind its construction is mechatronics engineering and the multi sensory concept.
Movements were measured by electromagnetic or ultrasonic.
Whats is Mechatronics engineering?
Mechatronics is concerned with the design automation and operational performance of electromechanical systems. Mechatronics engineering is nothing new; it is simply the applications of latest techniques in precision mechanical engineering, electronic and computer control, computing systems and sensor and actuator technology to Design improved products and processes.
2D vs 3D:
Types of Space Mouse:
1. Space Mouse Classic
Space Mouse Features:
- Ease to use of manipulating object in 3D applications.
- Calibration free sensor technology for high precision.
- Nine programmable buttons for motion control.
- Setting to adjust sensitivity and user preference.
- Double productivity of object manipulation in 3D application.
- six-degrees-of-freedom (6Dof) sensor
- Quick ViewKeys
- Rotation Toggle Key
- Intelligent Function Keys
- On-screen Display
- Keyboard Modifiers (Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Esc)
- Virtual Num Pad
- 15 programmable keys in total
- Object manipulation in 3D applications.
- It is used in industrial robots.
- Playing a Games.
Space Mouse Benefits:
- Drawing times is reduced by 20%- 30% increasing overall productivity.
- With the Space Mouse improved design is possible.
- Earlier detection of design errors and cost savings in the design process.
- Works without an additional power supply.
Space Mouse Limitation:
- Heavy weight.
- Very Expensive.