What is WiMAX?
- WIMAX stands for Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access
- I t is an IP based Wireless Broadband Access Technology utilizing IEEE 802.16e-2005 standard as the air interface.
- WiMAX, which will have a range of up to 31 miles, is primarily aimed at making broadband network access widely .
- User can expect to have broadband access speeds ranging from 256 Kbps to 2 Mbps.
- WiMAX is most suitable for home users, individual, small office and home office. Customer who want to use internet at home and in the office but want to subscribe only one connection can use this facility. Customer for those who have no phone line at the location and / or live in the rented apartments can also use WiMAX Connection.
Broadband access is too expensive and WiFi coverage is very sparse.
WiMAX will provide broadband connectivity anywhere, anytime, for any device and on any network.
High speed internet access where it is currently unavailable.
Substantially increase data speeds for applications like Online Gaming, Streaming Video and Video Conferencing.
- The new technology promises
- High speed of broadband service
- Wireless rather than wired access
- Broad Coverage
WiMAX consist of-
- A WiMAX tower, similar in concept to a cell-phone tower – A single WiMAX tower can provide coverage to a very large area as big as 3,000 square miles (~8,000 square km).
- A WiMAX receiver – The receiver and antenna could be a small box or Personal Computer Memory card, or they could be built into a laptop the way WiFi access is today
How WiMAX Works-
Benefits of WiMAX-
- Faster than broadband service
- Not having to lay cables reduces cost
- Easier to extend to suburban and rural areas
- Much wider coverage than WiFi hotspots.
Advantages of WiMAX-
- Single station can serve hundreds of users.
- Speed of 10 Mbps at 10 kilometers with line-of-site.
- It is standardized, and same frequency equipment should work together.
- providing portable connectivity , and also provide data and telecommunication services.
Convenience: You can move around the CPE(customer premise equipment) device and get the Internet access everywhere in your home, and in the office. And you can subscribe only one connection for both office and home use.